- 4 Endive
- 320 g potato
- 4 Ham slices
- 40 g Wheat flour (patent)
- 40 g Butter
- 600 mL Milk, 2%
- 60 g Grated cheese
- 2 pinch nutmeg
- 4 pinch Salt
- 4 pinch Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour.
- After a few seconds, gradually pour in 500 ml of cold milk while stirring constantly for 10 minutes over low heat.
- When the béchamel thickens and tends to stick, pour in a little more milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each endive in a ham slice and place in a lightly buttered gratin dish.
- Coat with béchamel sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the mashed potato.
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into pieces.
- Cook in a large volume of salted water for 20 minutes until a knife enters easily into the potato pulp.
- Mash with a fork; gradually pour in 100 ml of warm milk until the desired consistency.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Serve the endives au gratin along with the mashed potato.
- Complete this meal by adding a fruit as dessert or raw vegetables as a starter.