- 160 g Country bread
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Shallots
- 0.5 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 pinch Thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 pinch Cinnamon flakes
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pine nuts
- 5 mL balsamic vinegar
- 15 mL Olive oil
- 2 pinch Salt
- 2 pinch Pepper
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic and onion.
- Rinse and cut the eggplant into cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole over medium heat.
- As soon as it is shimmering, stir-fry the onion, garlic, pines and chilli flakes for 5 minutes.
- Then add the eggplant, sugar, and cinnamon, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Scatter in the thyme, stir in the balsamic vinegar and the tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the caponata in a salad bowl, either hot or cold along with crostini (toasts).
- Or grill 2 slices of traditional bread.
- Spread the slices with caponata.
- Eat slowly. Signals of satiety are only received after 15 to 20 minutes.